Vanderbilt hires James Dobson as strength coach

first_imgNASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Vanderbilt has hired James Dobson as the Commodores’ new strength coach while coach Derek Mason still for new coordinators.The Commodores announced the hiring Monday.Dobson has spent the past seven years at Nebraska, and the native of Mount Horeb, Wisconsin, and he also worked at Iowa for nine years. Dobson leaves a Nebraska program currently ranked 22nd and playing in the Holiday Bowl on Saturday. He will oversee all of Vanderbilt’s strength and conditioning.Mason also is looking for new offensive and defensive coordinators after letting Karl Dorrell and David Kotulski go after the Commodores went 3-9 in his first season.last_img read more

Marshfield boys fall at La Crosse Central

first_imgBy John KemmeterLA CROSSE – The Marshfield High School boys basketball team dropped a nonconference game at La Crosse Central on Dec. 6.Central went into halftime with a 43-27 lead, and used a 40-26 advantage in the second half to close out an 83-53 win.Addison Hill was 6-of-11 on three-pointers and finished with 18 points and five assists, and Joey Goettl had 10 points and four rebounds to lead the Tigers.last_img

Google News Redesigns UK & India Editions

first_imgTop Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market Tags:#Google#news#web Last weekend, Google News introduced the tag as a way for publishers to highlight their best content for Google News to aggregate. Now is a good time for British and Indian publishers to optimize their content for Google News. If you’re looking for tips on how to do that, check out our post, How To Rank Highly on Google News.What news aggregators do you use? Let us know in the comments A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Google News just announced a redesign of its U.K. and India sites in order to unify the experience across editions. The improvements are designed to be more browsable and present trending and popular stories more clearly, as well as to offer more customization and sharing options.The U.S. edition was redesigned in May, introducing a one-column format, highlighted top stories and more multimedia links. These same improvements will now roll out for the U.K. and India editions. jon mitchell Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… Related Posts last_img read more

F1: Indian Grand Prix set to return in 2016, says Bernie Ecclestone

first_imgThe Indian Grand Prix was dropped from the 2014 calendar after three successful seasons.The Indian Grand Prix is expected to return in 2016 as a “fruitful” meeting between Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone and race promoters has prepared the ground for the comeback of the high-profile event.The meeting was held on the sidelines of the inaugural Russian Grand Prix in Sochi, last month.The Indian Grand Prix was dropped from the 2014 calendar after three successful seasons, owing to tax and bureaucratic hurdles, leaving fans and experts to wonder whether the elite global event will comeback at all. The race has already been ruled out for 2015.The issues surrounding the Grand Prix remain but Ecclestone-led Formula One Management (FOM) and race promoters Jaypee Sports International (JPSI), headed by Sameer Gaur, first want to honour the five-year contract and then work on securing the long-term future of the event.”We (Sameer and I) had a good meeting in Russia. I was assured that the tax and other related problems will be sorted out in due course and then we are good to go back. It is too late for 2015 now, so we are working on 2016,” Ecclestone told PTI from his London office.Gaur, on his part, said, “Formula One remains very important for us. Unfortunately, because of the circumstances we could not do the race this year but I see the situation improving soon. The important thing is that we and FOM are on the same page. 2015 looks tough as the calendar is more or less final, so we should look at 2016 as the year for the race.”advertisementOnly time will tell how Ecclestone accommodates India on the ever crowded calendar. 2014 will see 20 races with the return of Mexico round and the number could go up to 22 in 2016 with India and Azerbaijan waiting to host the F1 caravan.last_img read more

Newfoundland author on surviving California mudslide It was apocalyptic

first_imgST. JOHN’S, N.L. – A prominent Newfoundlander says he made a harrowing escape from the California mudslides that killed at least 17 people and wiped out homes and roads.“I have been through some experiences in my life, this is right up there with them, I gotta tell you. It was so incredibly harrowing,” said Brian O’Dea, author of “High: Confessions of an International Drug Smuggler.”O’Dea’s Montecito house outside Santa Barbara was in the path of a pre-dawn flash flood Tuesday that was touched off by heavy rain.As the rainwater made its way downhill with gathering force, it pried boulders from the ground and picked up trees and other debris that flattened homes, cars and carried at least one body a mile away.“These mudslides, they call them flash floods for an absolutely good reason. They are instant, they are a six-foot wall of mud moving 40 miles an hour, it moves whatever it wants. It simply does. And it comes right through your house,” O’Dea told VOCM Radio in St. John’s, N.L.O’Dea, originally from the Newfoundland capital, was jailed as a young man for drug smuggling, but is now an author, film and television producer. He was also quoted in 2016 as saying he had a branding company connected to the legal marijuana business.Although O’Dea’s house was spared, his celebrity neighbours Oprah Winfrey and Jeff Bridges had their own brushes with disaster.O’Dea said he was at home with his family when his son pointed out a nearby fire lighting up the sky. He said he went to investigate what turned out to be an explosion at a natural gas line, and came face to face with the mudslide.“I said, ‘We gotta get out of here.’ As I turned the car around and I looked in my rear-view mirror, I saw huge boulders the size of my car rolling on the street behind me, and I went, ‘Mother of God, this is like Independence Day,’ so I took off back down to the house,” he said.“By the time I got to my house 30 seconds later there was a river of mud all over everything. I mean, it was apocalyptic. And I’m trying to weave the car in, you know, two feet of mud to get back in the driveway and down the street. It was like somebody had brought a chainsaw and started chopping down trees.”Winfrey owns a 58-acre parcel of land behind his house, he said, and it acted as a riverway for the mud. But when it hit his back fence, the flow split in two.“It just went around the house like a teardrop, it was shaped like an eye,” O’Dea said.Winfrey, fresh off a Golden Globes speech that inspired calls for her to run for president, posted Instagram photos of the shin-deep mud in her yard and video of rescue helicopters flying overhead.Bridges said his house took a hit.“Our home has been severely damaged, but we are safe, and so thankful for that and for the first responders who are working tirelessly to save people,” Bridges tweeted.The deadly mudslides that ravaged the town came a month after a massive wildfire drove many residents from their homes and blackened the nearby mountains. With no vegetation left to absorb the rain, the slides came quickly amid a torrential downpour.O’Dea said his house was turned into a staging ground for the Ventura County Search and Rescue. He said close to 40 or 50 rescue crew members stayed for the better part of the day as “they were out looking for bodies.”Five people were missing as of early Friday, down from as many as 43 a day earlier, said Amber Anderson, a spokeswoman for Santa Barbara County. Sheriff Bill Brown had given the larger number Thursday but cautioned that many or most of those people may simply have been unreachable to the family and friends who reported they couldn’t find them.Brown released the names of 17 people killed in the mudslide Thursday, including the youngest victim 3-year-old Kailly Benitez.As California is at the beginning of its rainy season, O’Dea says he’s worried about how people will make it through.“The next rain, I can’t imagine why we’re going to experience anything different. I’m really flabbergasted to imagine how they’re going to survive this rainy season,” he said.(VOCM, The Associated Press, The Canadian Press)last_img read more

Parnell not confirmed as new Deputy Speaker

first_img Related Items:#magneticmedianews, #ParnellnotcornfirmedasnewDS Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppTurks and Caicos, June 21, 2017 – Providenciales – No names were given for the possible new Deputy Speaker of the House of Assembly, though the MP for Cheshire Hall and Richmond – Hon Doug Parnell – is with his name being tossed around for the job.  At the House of Assembly, there will have to be a vote on the recommendation for new Deputy Speaker of the House.#MagneticMediaNews#ParnellnotcornfirmedasnewDSlast_img read more