The Red Bull pair Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo face 15 and 20-place penalties respectively for having new power unit components fitted for Monza.Like Alonso, who on Friday switched back to an older engine for second practice, they are choosing to take their penalties in Italy to improve their prospects for success in Singapore, where their cars are better suited to the street track.Sainz faces a 10-place penalty for taking an unscheduled fifth power unit element.“Yes, we are being a bit strategic about it,” said Ricciardo of the decision to take advantage of a system that has been widely criticised.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo of Red Bull Racing face 15 and 20-place penalties respectively for having new power unit components fitted for Monza © GETTY IMAGES/AFP/File / Peter FoxMONZA, Italy, Sep 1 – Fernando Alonso, Carlos Sainz and both Red Bull drivers will be hit by grid penalties for Sunday’s Italian Grand Prix, it was confirmed Friday.Two-time former champion Alonso faces a likely 35-place penalty after Honda fitted an upgraded engine to his McLaren for opening practice on Friday.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champBut Russia ignored her calls to punish Iran. Despite continued strong support from NATO allies in the wake of a new U.S. intelligence report that concludes that Iran actually stopped developing atomic weapons in 2003, Rice could not persuade Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov of the urgency of fresh sanctions. Rice said her talks with Lavrov were “an extension of other conversations we have had,” suggesting that the two didn’t see eye to eye. White House officials maintained an optimistic tone. Based on contacts with Russia, China and other permanent members of the U.N. Security Council since the release Monday of the new intelligence estimate on Iran, “we are still committed to Iran stopping its enrichment,” said National Security Council spokesman Gordon Johndroe. “And we will eventually get a third U.N. Security Council resolution.” Bush spoke to Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday and Chinese President Hu Jintao on Thursday. Vice President Dick Cheney, speaking in Kansas City to members of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, said, “In the case of Iran, we’re dealing with a country that is still enriching uranium and remains a leading state sponsor of terrorism, and that is a cause of great concern to the United States.” Cheney said others in the international community, including Russia, share that concern. At the Pentagon, senior military officers told reporters the U.S. intelligence revelation that it believes Iran scrapped its nuclear weapons design effort in 2003 has not triggered new instructions by the Bush administration to speed up or slow down any Iran crisis planning. “There has been no course correction – slowdown, speedup – given to us inside the Joint Staff” for military crisis planning, said Marine Corps Lt. Gen. John Sattler, the director of strategic plans and policy for the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Attending the Bahrain security conference with Gates were Adm. Mike Mullen, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, as well as Adm. William J. Fallon, chief of the U.S. Central Command, which is responsible for U.S. military operations throughout the Middle East. Fallon spoke to reporters about Iran. “Their behavior has really been a problem, and to the extent that it destabilizes the region, which it does, then it becomes a problem for us,” Fallon said. Defense officials have said Iran’s delivery of weapons and other support into Iraq and Afghanistan and the detention of British sailors earlier this year are key activities that threaten security in the region. And Gulf country leaders, Fallon said, have told him that their concern “is more the pressure that they feel from Iran as they want to dominate this area.” A senior defense official traveling with Gates said the secretary planned to tell the Bahrain conference that Gulf countries have shared commercial and security interests, and that the more they cooperate the more the world will benefit. One key area would be shared efforts in an early warning system because of the ballistic missile threats from Iran. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issues. A U.S. Navy commander, meanwhile, said Iranian threats to close the Strait of Hormuz, a vital commercial waterway at the tip of the Gulf, are the greatest concern for maritime security in the region. Vice Adm. Kevin J. Cosgriff, commander of U.S. Naval Forces Central Command, said while the likelihood of that happening is low, concerns about Iran consume the region – and his day. “I wake up thinking about Iran, I go to bed thinking about Iran,” Cosgriff told reporters.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! MANAMA, Bahrain – Defense Secretary Robert Gates planned to tell Gulf countries today that they must work together to help the U.S. counter Iranian threats, including Tehran’s ballistic missiles and meddling in Iraq. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said the United States still wants new sanctions. Gates, ending a weeklong trip to the region, intended in his keynote speech at an international security conference in Manama to urge Gulf allies to cooperate more as part of a broader strategy for containing Iranian influence, according to U.S. officials traveling with Gates on Friday. Gates’ speech was to follow Rice’s assertions Friday in Brussels, Belgium, that Washington would continue along a two-track strategy, pressing for new sanctions against Iran while holding talks to persuade Tehran to come clean about its nuclear program.
Mumbai, Nov 6 (PTI) Former Iranian international Jamshed Nassiri today said that the schools talent hunt he is involved in as head coach has unearthed some players who are now playing in the I-League and Indian Super League. Without identifying any of these footballers, Nassiri – who has made India his residence after playing for some famous Kolkata football clubs in the 1970s and 1980s – said the national-level schools talent hunt has given a platform for those children who have been untapped through other means. Mumbai is the 11th stop in the 15-city-wide talent hunt, Star Sports Young Heroes, to identify 16 footballers for a ten-day training stint in Spain. “In the past through such initiatives we have unearthed talented footballers who are now playing for Delhi Dynamos, Kerala Blasters (both ISL outfits) and for I-League clubs Shilling Lajong and Pune FC, while some others are with the Tata Football Acedemy,” said Nassiri. The Mumbai campaign is to be held tomorrow and on November 8 after which a team will be chosen to take part in the All India Schools finals slated to be held in Kolkata in January prior to identifying the final 16 players for the exposure trip to Spain. “After they return from Spain it will be upto their parents whether to allow them to continue their pursuit in the game. (But) in India at the age of 14 education takes precedence,” he noted when asked about follow-up action. Nassiri wanted all eight ISL franchise outfits to set up residential football academies from which they can develop top-class young footballers to later induct into own ISL senior teams. “India were among the top footballing nations in Asia when I was a young footballer representing Iran. We should bring back the glory days of Indian football,” he said. He also mentioned that tiny Himalayan Kingdom Nepal – which once was a punching bag in the game – has set up four football academies in four corners of the tiny country. The result is India, of late, is finding it difficult to win against them and even Maldives in regional competitions, according to the Iranian. PTI SSR DK SSC SSC RDSadvertisement