Patrick Roberts has revealed Celtic were keen to sign him on a permanent deal before he finalised a loan move from Manchester City.The winger became a fans’ favourite during his 18-month loan spell from the English giants, which culminated in him playing a key role in the club going through the domestic season unbeaten and lifting all three trophies.Roberts returned to City for pre-season training but is now back in Glasgow on a season-long loan, which could have been longer.“Celtic wanted to sign me permanently,” he said. “At the end of the day I’m the one playing the football so I’ve got to be the one making those decisions and they were really good with me and allowed that to happen.”Roberts said he had not spoken to Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers much during the summer but that the manager and chief executive Peter Lawwell had both told him at the end of the summer they were keen to sign him again. He said he was delighted to be back in training and was at the best place for his development.“Going into training today it doesn’t feel like I’ve been anywhere at all,” he said. “It’s nice to get that reality again.“I think everyone knows my feelings on the club and how we performed last year. I feel this team at the moment is a tremendous group of players so I thought for me, the best place to develop is here. “Especially with the manager and the coaches here that give me the platform to do that. That was behind my thinking.” “City, being as they are and being my parent club, they obviously didn’t want to sell me. From that point of view it’s good for me that Pep and the team there still want to keep me and keep me involved.“That’s good for me and also letting me come here and carry on my development with the manager and the team is good as well so they have full interest in me, which is good for me personally.”The 20-year old was linked with other clubs in the summer but said he had made it clear a return to Glasgow was his preferred option.“City were good with me,” he said. “We had a few chats and they obviously understood my position and me coming back here was, for me, in my best interest.
30 May 2013 Representatives of 16 countries gathered in Mombasa, Kenya on Wednesday for the first Africa outreach meeting of the Open Government Partnership (OGP). Launched in New York in September 2011, the OGP is international coalition of leading governments and civil society organisations aimed at advancing transparency and accountability in government, increasing civic participation and fighting corruption. The partnership has grown since then to 59 countries, including the eight founding countries: the US, Brazil, Indonesia, Mexico, Norway, Philippines, South Africa and the UK. Africa is represented in the OGP by founding member South Africa, Kenya and Tanzania, who committed to joining in 2012, and Liberia and Ghana, who are in the process of joining.Service delivery, development benefits Speaking at the opening of the OGP Africa meeting on Wednesday, South African Deputy Public Service and Administration Minister Ayando Dlodlo said it was important to “recognise the benefits of enhancing governance in order to improve service delivery and foster development”. Dlodlo told the gathering of politicians, administrators, civil society workers, academics and others that South Africa sought to help build strong international partnerships to promote good governance, which was “fundamental in improving the delivery of services to our citizens and enhancing public trust in government”. While stressing the value of a civil society with the “independence, capacity and will to hold governments accountable”, Dlodlo challenged challenge African governments and civil society to move away from a “cold war of us against them” and to work together for the betterment of people’s lives. She also highlighted the use of information communication technology (ICT) by governments, not only to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery, but also to promote information sharing and public participation.Importance of ‘open data’ Kenya’s Cabinet Secretary for Information Communication and Technology Fred Matiangi relayed a welcome message from President Uhuru Kenyatta calling for constructive engagement between governments and civil society to improve the living conditions of Africa’s people. Kenya’s Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Information and Communications, Bitange Ndemo, speaking at a separate session on open data, spoke about the challenge of making technical information available to the public in clearly understandable language. Open data had to be relevant to people, Ndemo said, in order for them to understand it and use it to improve their living standards. He lauded those Kenyans who used technology to access data and rework it in language that people could understand through smartphones and apps “Our Open Data portal has information about the various counties we have in Kenya, and this is important for making development decisions about a county. The data compares counties to each other on which is lagging behind,” Ndemo said.Platforms for citizen feedback Unathi Bongco, South Africa’s OGP programme manager, told a session on improving the public service that citizen feedback was crucial in monitoring quality and improving accountability in service delivery, and noted the South African government’s use of outreach forums and special telephone hotlines to gather this feedback. The two-day conference continued on Thursday, with panelists drawn from government and civil society set to share their experiences on open governance in the day’s main event, “Conversations with African Leaders”. The panelists scheduled to take part included Qinisile Delwa from South Africa’s Department of Public Service and Administration, Thomas Karyah from Liberia’s Ministry of Information, Cultural Affairs and Tourism, Prince Kreplah of Citizens United to Promote Peace and Democracy in Liberia, Gladwell Otieno of the Africa Centre for Open Governance, and Emmanuel Kuyole of Ghana’s Revenue Watch Institute. SAinfo reporter
24 April 2014 A small factory in the Amathole District in the Eastern Cape is using green energy to manufacture cooler boxes for international retailer Massmart, bringing “significant benefits” to the regional economy, the provincial Department of Economic Development, Environmental Affairs and Tourism announced on Tuesday. The R4-million Ikusasa Green manufacturing plant in Stutterheim in the Amahlati District was officially opened on Tuesday by Mcebisi Jonas, the Economic Development, Environmental Affairs and Tourism MEC. Jonas said the project was an exciting example of what could happen when a SMME partnered with big business. The plant would create 20 jobs in the Stutterheim area, with an additional 10 to 15 permanent jobs within the first two months of its operation, Jonas said.Green energy The cooler boxes, manufactured using green energy and using an innovative roto- moulded process, will be available for sale around the world, said Mkululi Pakade, a director of Ikusasa Green. The project has received an investment of R4-million from the department’s Local and Regional Economic Development (LRED) Fund, with assistance from the Massmart supplier development fund. The LRED Fund aims to support the development of new sources of economic activity in small towns as well as new technologies that include energy efficiency. “The Ikusasa project is a combination of innovation, commitment and sufficient motivation from the concerned entrepreneurs,” Jonas said. “This is a demonstration of people who have not waited for government but took the initiative to unleash the potential of business through using the available mechanisms for business support” He said “locally entrenched” industrialisation could serve to reignite the province’s manufacturing sector, which has experienced many job losses “even before the recession. Innovation The company handed over its first two cooler box units off the newly installed production line to Massmart at the opening. Ikusasa will hand over 700 units to Massmart for their initial order, worth R610 000. Moshisi Lehlongwane, supplier development manager at Massmart, said the partnership was a reaffirmation of the company’s commitment to buy from small- and medium-suppliers anywhere in South Africa. “They had the right product with innovation and not only will we list their roto- moulded cooler boxes in our stores, but we are putting them under one of our trusted brands, Camp Master. “Through our supplier development fund we have committed to work with Ikusasa Green to remove challenges such as securing the right moulds, ensuring that their factory complies with national standards, and that they have the right machinery to keep up with orders from Massmart.” SAinfo reporter and the Eastern Cape Department of Economic Development, Environmental Affairs and Tourism
Time on SiteThe big news at MSN Video is that the site has embraced a “Time on Site” traffic metric that’s sure to represent the future of advertising. Neilsen announced this summer that they are replacing page views with time on site as the primary web traffic metric. It’s widely acknowledged that AJAX and online video are making pageviews less and less relevant all the time. While other sites (like YouTube and MySpace) keep pumping out the pageviews and trying to figure out how to best run ads – this new MSN Video site has hit on a formula that will likely represent the video portal of the future: AJAX powered video playlists, including recommended videos, that do not require new pageloads and are monetized by time-based advertising. You could spend hours watching a playlist of videos from a variety of sources on MSN Video without ever loading a new page.There’s a really nice multi-video full-screen player, too. Viewers can even edit their playlists from inside the full-screen view. As an interesting aside, reader Mike Kowalchik notes in comments here that the video is all in Adobe’s Flash, not Microsoft’s new SilverLight format. How the Ads WorkVisitors to MSN Video now see a pre-roll ad before their playlist of videos and then are shown another ad at most once every 3 minutes, regardless of the number of videos they have watched. It’s much better than standard pre-rolls and sure to be more effective than post-roll ads. The fact that the pre-rolls are unskippable needs to change, and 3 minutes still seems awfully frequent for ads – but the point is that this is advertising no longer tied to pageviews. You can’t currently embed live players off-site, the site’s aesthetics are MSN-ugly, and MSN itself is supposed to be a deprecated brand in favor of Live.com . Regardless of all that, check out the new MSN Video. It represents the future of these increasingly important types of sites. Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… Tags:#Microsoft#web marshall kirkpatrick A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… There are big changes underway over at MSN Video, some of which represent a real look forward for the industry. It’s hard to believe, and it isn’t pretty, but this is a site you’ve got to check out. The site’s design, full screen player and advertising model are big. Related Posts Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market
‘A complete lie:’ Drilon refutes ‘blabbermouth’ Salo’s claims Austria acknowledged that part of his side’s demise was complacency, feeling that Blackwater will be easy pickings for the defending three-time all-Filipino champion.“Maybe we’re so complacent because we thought that Blackwater was easy to beat. But I keep on telling them that this is a very dangerous team. It’s our fault because we’re not able to do what we’re supposed to do. We should attribute this loss to overconfidence,” he said.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games openingAustria was dismayed by his side’s 18 turnovers, which led to 32 turnover points for the Elite, something which he believes is the perfect encapsulation of the Beermen’s listless effort.“I told them that whatever game plan we have, whatever we achieved in the past, if we won’t put the effort, we can’t beat any team,” the three-time Coach of the Year said. Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next BeautyMNL open its first mall pop-up packed with freebies, discounts, and other exclusives LATEST STORIES Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Do we want to be champions or GROs? – Sotto At 6-2, San Miguel is still ahead of the pack as it sits at joint first place with Magnolia and Alaska.Still, Austria knows that these last three games will be crucial if the Beermen wants to end up with a twice-to-beat advantage in the quarterfinals, starting in their game against the Aces next Saturday in Batangas.“The mindset is we should win in these last three games. We know what can happen and that’s why I’m putting an emphasis in our game against Alaska. That will be the most crucial point for us to get into the top two,” he said.ADVERTISEMENT Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ SEA Games: PH still winless in netball after loss to Thais View comments MOST READ Ravena saves the day as NLEX downs Meralco Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netCoach Leo Austria couldn’t help but regard San Miguel’s 96-106 defeat to Blackwater on Friday as “the worst loss” in his coaching career in the PBA.Coming in as heavy favorites, the Beermen were left in a pile of heap following a waxing hot performance from the the Elite, who went 13-of-25 from three to drop the upset axe.ADVERTISEMENT ‘We cannot afford to fail’ as SEA Games host – Duterte Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim PH military to look into China’s possible security threat to power grid